Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Next Level

Tending a relationship, nurturing it, watching it grow, anticipating the fruits to come, is a joyful art. The soil must be worked, and I worked it for so long, with so much care and love. I added all of the nutrients I thought would be needed to cultivate the union I had sought for so long. Then I found the prettiest seed I had ever seen. I planted it in the warm soil and contemplated the possibilities.

Soon, a sprout emerged. I was surprised by it strength and beauty. It grew quickly and courageously. It stretched it’s leaves to the life giving sun. It flourished and grew.


Then one day, the sprout wilted. My heart nearly broke with concern. My first reaction was to chastise myself with self blame and hatred. Of course that only made the problem worse. The sprout sagged and I was sure it would die.

I checked the soil. It was dry, so I added some water. The sprout came back, even stronger than it was. New leaves sprouted like magic. It grew and continues to grow taller and taller. I think there may even be a bud starting.

Yes, we had a hiccup. Usually, a hiccup in my relationships has meant doom. Fortunately, both Dale and I wanted the relationship to survive enough to water it. We talked through some differences, and worked through the problems. Now, we are stronger than before. We are happier than before. We are more confident than before.

We’ve taken us to the next level. No - I don't know what that means, but it feels sooo good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment