Sunday, March 23, 2008

Time is NOT a Constant

Aluminum Sculpture - Side View, no filter colorIt isn't that I have forgotten I have a blog I am supposed to be posting to, it's that the days have fooled me. There were days that seemed to last forever, yet it seems like it was yesterday that I sprained my ankle! (it's doing much better) Aluminum Sculpture - side view partial orange filter

There were days over the past two weeks when no matter how quickly I moved, it wasn't fast enough to get where I wanted to be when I wanted to be there. Then there were days when I was 10 minutes early everywhere I went.

Aluminum Sculpture - top view red filter

It's Spring Break now! Not that I have much time to rest. I have two tests the week we get back that I want to start studying for now. I also have 4 paintings to work on - two need to be finished by the time I go back. My sculpture is nearly finished.Aluminum Sculpture - side view, blue filter

This has been an interesting process. We made our sculpture in wax. Then we had to add a cup and vents for metal pouring purposes. Then we cast it in plaster, melted the wax out of the plaster mold and poured molten metal into the mold. I chose to do mine in aluminum because that was what I could afford. Aluminum Sculpture - side view, negative space where cat eye boulder will go, no filter color

I was up until 4:30 this morning filing and polishing this thing up. It is so small. I bought a dremel tool to help, and it did, but I would have to go buy more expensive attachments to get into all the nooks and crannies. Instead, I bought a $9.00 manicure tool, which actually worked better. To get it to shine, I had to use buffing sticks made for fingernails because the buffing tools that came with the dremel tool didn't make the metal shiny. Well, I want to stick a cat eye glass boulder in one of the negative spots (one of the balls that was there was lost in the pouring process) and I think it will add a little more tension to the piece.
Aluminum Sculpture - top view, no flash
After all of that, I have decided that I will probably not be a sculptor. It is a lot more work than I am ok with. The creative process is fun, the grinding, sanding and polishing process is not.Aluminum Sculpture - side view of negative space for cat eye boulder, no color filter

In Experimental Psych we are working in groups. Our group made questionnaires and had people complete them for us. Friday, I entered all the data from mine, and I don't know if I looked at it right, but it looked like I had a significant difference that would uphold our hypothesis! I will know better when I get back. I will print out the SPSS output and ask her if I am just doing too much wishful thinking and not enough good number crunching. If we really do get significance, I will be sooooo shocked. Just going over the questionnaires, I didn't think we had anything. It really looked like there was a lot of social desirability in the participant's answers. I was actually beginning to do research on the problems with social desirability in this type of research, and I might yet need it. But wouldn't it be so cool to actually get good results?!?! Aluminum Sculpture - upper angle, green filter


P.S. The sculptures look like different colors because I put colored filters over the flash on my camera. I think this sculpture would look cool under multicolored lights.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting process and an interesting piece of work.

    ReplyDelete