Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's too late to vent!

Last week seemed like a pretty good week. Things were falling into place and the end was in sight.

That was last week.

Friday night when I got home, I got an e-mail from the girl who runs the lab. Apparently, someone had shown up to participate in the study, and the girl assumed I had left too early giving her a penalty in the process. I checked my paper trail, and confirmed that I was in the lab until at least 11:46, at which time I tidied up the lab for the next research assistant, and left. There was no one in the hall. NO ONE! I walked over to the records office to pay my diploma document fee and was sent to the administration bldg to pay it (the records people had gone to lunch), and paid it. I have a receipt that shows I was there at 12:11 p.m. (It doesn't take an hour to get to the quad). I responded to the e-mail reporting as much, hoping that she would realize that she wasn't there until 12:00 and that whoever was waiting for the study wasn't there for an 11:00 appointment. That hasn't happened yet, so when I get up there tomorrow, I will have to straighten that all out.

Then, in theatre class, four of the five of us in the group had our parts done and sent to the web master, who submitted it at 11:00 p.m. Friday night. Saturday morning all of the other projects were up but ours. The web master sprang to action and managed to finally get ahold of the teacher, who had just failed to post it. That was cool. But the girl who didn't submit her part emailed me after 1:00 p.m. on Saturday wanting to know what she was supposed to do for her part and that she hadn't heard from any of us. LIER! I re-sent ALL of the emails I had sent to her (I didn't have access to those sent by the webmaster), and told her the project had been submitted the night before. Well, our project is up, and apparently, a couple of people hate what I did. Oh well.

Then, today, I was finishing up the final draft of my paper for Senior Seminar. I was very diligent in saving after every I finished editing each paragraph, and looked down to see that I had 20 pages of research paper! That was a lot more that I expected and almost twice as much as I had when I started the edits! But, it was finished! I looked at it, smiled and said to myself "one last save and printer, here I come!" and clicked on the save icon. I immediately got an alert telling me that that pathway was not found. Ok, I thought, I'll just save it to the computer and worry about why the jump drive failed later. So I okayed and cancelled out of that mess so I could save it to my laptop, when the whole works word processor shut down. Ok, I thought, I'll just get it going again and hope it kept track of the changes I made to the last paragraph, or redo the changes and print it out. No problem, right? WRONG! It was GONE! DISAPPEARED! GONE WITHOUT A TRACE! I was shocked, but kept hoping that maybe I could still find it. It wasn't on the jump drive. AT ALL. I put the jump drive in the desktop, and it wasn't there! AT ALL! I suppose if I knew how to reassemble computer memory traces, I could have retrieved it and all would be well, but I don't know how to do that. My "tears, they flowed away, like a rivulet at play, with a bubble rubble glubble o'er the ground ground ground." (I don't know who wrote the poem, I have asked for assistance in finding it on my Oral Traditions blog, but have not received any information yet)

The good news is that I had put the really hard edits on a powerpoint for a poster presentation I gave on Thursday (yeah, the one I got so nervous for I couln't remember how to say the word "the" or what it actually means - perhaps a shot of tequilla preceding the incident would have helped?). I remember thinking that I really should cut a lot of that information for the presentation, but I was lazy. I am so glad I'm lazy! All I had to do was go back and try to remember the edits I made to the lit review, and copy and paste the rest of it. It still took me an extra 5 hours, but I did get it done, and it is printed out, and I will have something to turn in. I have even e-mailed it to myself so that if my house burns down tonight, I will still have something to turn it.

Well, I have managed to get through the 3rd movement of this sonatina. Now I only have one left, and it's about as long as the rest of the three movements put together.

And I think I'll be able to get ready for the Physio psych final on Friday. I'll miss that class. It was fun. It's right up there with the Social Psychology class I took with Dr. Simonson, and the Cognitive Processes class I took with Dr. Turley-Ames.

You know, If I had to decide right this minute whether I would apply for more education, I'd say no way. But I know that this moment of stress and explosive crying will pass, and I will once again dream about the possibility of being more than I am. It always works out that way.

And Megan took Zach to the store to get grocieries, so even that turned out ok. It is now 7:10 and NCIS is on. I think I'll take a shower and see if I can do some laundry at Zach's new apartment. He is cooking a pork roast, and it should be getting done pretty soon! (The kid makes a fabulous pork roast!)

No more smoke and steam are pouring from my shattered mountain top. The mountain can be silent now, and rest up for the next explosion.

1 comment:

  1. There will always be a next explosion!
    Hope you enjoy the meal at Zach's!

    What a nightmare with your research paper. Glad you got there in the end.
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete