Monday, January 04, 2010

No. 2 BSU

BSU wins the Fiesta Bowl - again. And people here are just as worked up over it now as they were in 2007. Fireworks shooting off. People Screaming Boise State in a street not far from here. You know, the usual red-necked Idaho behavior. Lot's of beer was consumed here - I have no doubt of that. I went to the store earlier today and a couple was shopping. The girl asked the guy which item he thought she should buy, and he said he didn't know why they had to buy anything. When he goes to watch a game he goes to watch a game. Ah, Idaho.




I think more people stayed here this time, though. Either that or I just didn't pay as much attention to the non-stop press. Well, to be fair, we haven't been getting KTVB this week. That helped. That station is the most annoying fan of boise state broncos in the world. You would think that the newscasters all have children attending BSU. They kind of remind me of pre-teen groupies. They used to be that way with Mayor/Governor Kempthorn. It's embarrassingly pathetic. I suppose I could move to another state, but I don't know how I would get my house and family to go to. I guess I'll just have to turn the tv off and pretend KTVB doesn't exist.

The fox sports announcers say BSU is number 2, I guess because TCU was ranked no. 3, though how can anyone know when there are no real playoffs? Just some guys in an office somewhere making subjective calls - ranking teams based on ????. You don't suppose this is done to protect the egos of rich parents of football players in the big private schools, do you? I'm just saying. Not that BSU is really that great. Having such a good winning record probably doesn't really mean anything anyway. Besides, BSU only won this game by one touchdown - an uncharacteristic near loss for the team that is usually two or three touchdowns ahead in the first quarter (that is not a real statistic - just a facetious comment on my part).

So now football at BSU will continue to thrive, and all the best players in Idaho will sign with them, and ISU will continue to flounder in the BSU bronco nation wake. Too bad BSU doesn't have an educational program to match its football team (what am I saying? BSU football is BSU, isn't it?). Of course, if Idaho legislators don't pull their republican heads out of their conservative anuses, ISU won't have a decent education program for much longer either. Why bother? Who really needs a school with a losing football team anyway?

0 comments:

Post a Comment