Monday, February 20, 2006

Depression


Stay Afloat Posted by Picasa

I don’t know the exact point when things began to change. I felt so strong and confident about where I was and where I was headed. There was peacefulness to my existence. I was happy just being in the moment, knowing that the days ahead would take care of themselves.

I have a faint recollection of the melody playing inside my head, but I thought for sure it would not be a threat this time. Oh January, you never announce your arrival, and you never leave in silence. I always dread your visits. Why must you be so unkind?

I’ve spent the past several days trying to sleep it off, to no avail. I read the words of others, yet feel no reprieve. I breathe in deeply, breathe out with intent, and yet suffer a fear of tomorrow. Tomorrow always comes for me. That should bring comfort this late in February, but apprehension is all I have. I don’t know why I wake up each and every day, but I am not always happy for it.


The wonders of modern medicine intervene when I want to cry. I don’t cry. I think I miss that. At least I feel alive when I cry. But now, I only feel hollow inside, unmoved by the sunshine, I am alone, and indifferent. I am now most dangerous to myself, for I have no will to live. My will to die is still not stronger than my fear of dying, but for how long? The race is on. Again.

I guess all the medicine in the world won’t stop this cycle. There are pathways in my brain that have been used so often throughout my life that they are easier to use than all the others. I need to find a way to prevent their use. I think in the winter I become so fatigued that I have to turn on the autopilot just to get out of bed every day and get to work. Getting enough sleep is not possible for me.

I look forward to May.

2 comments:

  1. i know how u feel...
    and i also know how it feels when people >like me< tell u "everthin will be alrite"
    =)
    well, all i can tell u...is dat sometimes...even though u cant see it...sometimes the people who care about u do have a point
    i dunno even why i am saying this...u seem to be on ur to happiness
    its a journey after all....

    =)

    "Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
    When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
    And life has a funny way of helping you out when
    You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
    In your face"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging words. I am starting to come out of this, finally. It has really helped to have a few really nice spring-like days. I know I'll make it, I always do.

    ReplyDelete