Saturday, April 28, 2007

It's time to MOVE a little!

One of the seven components of being a good climber is to have respect for other climbers. At least that’s what we were taught in climbing class. I guess that only applies to people who aren’t teachers or expert climbers. I drove all the way to Pocatello yesterday to go on a climbing trip to Massacre Rocks. It got cancelled. Even though the teacher knew I was going to drive all the way from Twin to go on this trip, he didn’t call me to tell me it was cancelled. So, 250 miles, $10 in gas, and 4 hours later, I am home. Where is my respect?

I turned in the last of my term papers Thursday night. I had asked my neighbor to look it over for me, and when she hadn’t come by before class Thursday, I just assumed she was not able to get it done. Yesterday she came over with it and it was loaded with red marks. I read her comments, and at first I thought one of them was quite valid, and got a little worried. (she didn’t think biases was a word, but I found it in a dictionary – fingers crossed) But the rest were kind of picky, and I think they had more to do with her feeling defensive than right.

She and I both suffered parental rejection as children, and she didn’t want to think of herself as a member of the negative outcomes group. She thought the wording needed to be watered down, but I think I was true to what the researchers said. At least I hope so. I worked so hard on that paper, I’d hate to see it doomed for those kinds of mistakes.

I had a girl read it at the ISU writing center, and she pointed out grammar errors which I fixed. She thought it was understandable as a whole, even though she wasn’t familiar with some of the terminology. She pointed out a mistake, which I fixed, in the closing paragraph where I injected my own opinion into it, so I am just going to have to go with thinking she is the one who is right. We’ll see.

So, I’m going to post this today. Then I’m going to get my bike, and assuming it still works, I am going to go out across the canyon and ride around in the desert. The weather is cooperating thus far, and I really need go out and move and sweat and be an active human being who no longer has to hide in a cave to write.

Maybe I’ll take some pictures worth keeping and posting. Won’t that be fun?

0 comments:

Post a Comment